Cheap unhealthy processed kai is easily available in Aotearoa and even more so in poorer neighbourhoods despite the known harms on health such as cancer.
- Seventy percent of packaged food in supermarkets is ultra-processed (unhealthy).
- Poorer suburbs are exposed to four times more fast-food outlets and a higher ratio of unhealthy food in supermarkets.
The Cancer Society wants to raise awareness of the unhealthy food environment and its link to cancer.
Making affordable healthy kai easily available everywhere would help reduce cancer risk.
We support the priorities of Health Coalition Aotearoa including:
- Healthy food in schools
- protecting children from unhealthy food marketing and sponsorship
- a sugar levy on sugar-sweetened drinks. We support the NZDA Consensus Statement on Sugary Drinks and FIZZ (Fighting Sugar in Soft Drinks).
- putting the Health Star Rating on all processed foods. Read our 2018 Submission on the Health Star Rating
- Making sure everyone can afford healthy food.