We are looking for a part time counsellor in the Wellington/Porirua region.
Cancer Society’s mission is to improve community wellbeing by reducing the incidence and impact of cancer. Te Tiriti o Waitangi is foundational to our work, and reducing cancer inequities is a priority for us, especially for Māori. The Cancer Society works with communities to provide leadership and advocacy in cancer control, with core services in supportive care, health promotion, information, advocacy and research.
About the role
The aim of the Counsellor is to provide services that ensure that people with cancer, their families/whānau or those who have survived cancer receive respectful, psychological and emotional support in a confidential environment.
We are looking for a dynamic professional who can work within a supportive multidisciplinary environment 2 – 3 days per week across the Wellington / Porirua areas.
This position reports to and is supported by the Manager of Supportive Care working as part of a fantastic team of passionate professionals.
This position requires:
- A relevant professional qualification and membership to a professional body i.e., NZAC
- A client-centred approach and ability to assess the psychosocial needs and safety of the client, caregivers/families/whanau.
- Knowledge of and skills to work with children and young people would be advantageous for the Wellington position.
- An understanding of, and be able to work within, the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi
- Tikanga Māori knowledge and skills
- Facilitation of a group maybe required occasionally.
- Experience with word, excel, publisher and database skills.
We can offer you:
A supportive work environment with a valued commitment to employee wellbeing including:
- Comprehensive sick leave, including extra covid leave.
- 2 well-being leave days per year, plus an annual wellbeing allowance
- Supportive flexible working arrangements, including working from home option.
If you would like the opportunity to be part of an organisation making a difference in people’s lives every day, then we would love to hear from you.
Please apply with a copy of your CV and a cover letter telling us what makes you perfect for this role. A copy of the Job Description is available by contacting Jenni Drew, Supportive Care Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or Nicola McGregor, HR Advisor email@example.com