We are here to support people with cancer and their whānau across Tairāwhiti. We are part of the Central Districts Division of the Cancer Society.
What we do
Cancer is now the leading cause of death in New Zealand. As we grow older the likelihood of developing cancer increases.
Each year in Tairāwhiti there are over 250 people diagnosed with cancer. Every day at the Cancer Society we help all people with any cancer, their whānau and friends to deal with a cancer diagnosis.
We advocate for cancer patients, providing a voice on all kinds of issues including cancer prevention, screening, early detection and treatment. We support people during treatment and beyond.
We do this through a wide range of core services in supportive care and information and helping to connect people. We develop and run community health promotion and cancer prevention programmes to keep people well.
Central Districts (Taranaki, Whanganui, Manawatu, Hawkes Bay, Gisborne) COVID Level 2 information
All Cancer Society offices are open under Level 2.
- Available via volunteer drivers.
- Shuttle services (Taranaki and Hawkes Bay) are operating.
- All transport services are operating with strict adherence to contact tracing, social distancing, and maintaining high levels of hygiene, wearing a face mask, as per Alert Level guidelines
- Supportive Care will be conducted by phone/remotely and face to face.
- Face to face meetings conducted with strict adherence to contact tracing, social distancing and maintaining high levels of hygiene as per Alert Level guidelines. Masks must be worn.
Funding is available for external counsellor
Support groups remain suspended.
Referral form for Health Professionals
Our services are available to anyone diagnosed with cancer, family/whānau. Please use this form if you would like to use our services or refer someone else to our services.
If you or a member of your whānau have received a cancer diagnosis, you can just ring us on 0800 226 237. You don't need to be referred by a health professional.
Central Districts - referral form
Meet our team providing support services to cancer patients and their whānau.