The Auckland Cancer Society's Domain Lodge provides a home away from home if you have to travel to Auckland for cancer appointments or treatment.
Can I stay at Domain Lodge?
You can stay at Domain Lodge if:
- you are having treatment for cancer or attending hospital appointments related to a cancer diagnosis
- you are able to look after yourself or have a support person stay with you - your support person must be over 18 years old and you will have to share a room
- you have a referral from your specialist or local hospital
When we have received your referral, we will send you a letter confirming your booking at Domain Lodge.
If you're a health professional wanting to refer a patient for accommodation, follow the link below to fill in our referral form.
How much does it cost to stay at Domain Lodge while I have treatment?
Cost is dependent on several factors:
- If you have completed Te Whatu Ora National Travel Allowance (NTA) documents, then we can usually provide accommodation (one room only) free of charge.
- Northland patients and whānau / supporters should contact Te Whatu Ora about travel and accommodation needs on 0800 682 684.
- Patients without NTA funding need to discuss payment for accommodation with hospital staff before arriving at the Lodge.
- There are occasions when a patient and whānau/supporter is not eligible for NTA so will be charged for accommodation.
When you stay at Domain Lodge, only your accommodation is provided. You will need to pay for all other costs incurred during your stay, including food, phone calls, and transport costs.
Treatment and support
The Auckland Hospital cancer treatment centre is about 500 metres away, over uneven footpaths and across a busy road, with lights.
We would like you to arrive safely for your treatment, either alone or with the help of a supporter. A taxi will cost $5-10. We have volunteers who may be available to assist you, but this cannot be guaranteed every day.
In your first week, you will be asked to attend an orientation meeting where you will be introduced to and offered support from our staff, including our nurses, who are in close contact with the staff at the cancer treatment centres. We encourage you to make the most of this support (available 8:00 am – 4:00 pm weekdays).
- psychology services and volunteers
- specialised library
Our staff and volunteers can help you find your way around Auckland, its shops and entertainment.
Please talk to our staff if you have questions or concerns. They will help in any way they can.
Check-in and check-out times
- Rooms are available from 2:00 pm. Checkout is at 10:00 am.
- Parking may be available outside these times – ask our friendly reception staff.
- Accommodation is offered on treatment/appointment days only. It is usually possible for you to stay the day before treatment or at weekends, but you must arrange this in advance with Domain Lodge staff.
- If you go home for the weekend, you will need to move out of your room until you return (luggage storage is available).
- All rooms are either double or twin with bathrooms, TV, phone, radio, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities and a starter pack of tea/coffee/sugar.
- You need to provide your own meals and there are two well equipped kitchens with fridges and storage areas. Continental breakfasts, frozen meals and laundry facilities are available but are not free of charge.
- Housekeeping staff will clean your room and change your towels every day. Bed linen is provided once a week but you will need to make your own bed. If you need extra linen, cleaning equipment or help with bed-making please talk to our staff.
- All you need to bring is your clothing, personal toiletries and any food you require. Grocery shops and supermarkets are a short distance from Domain Lodge. Sorry, no pets or electrical appliances.
- 24 hour reception
- Hosts are available every week day to help you find your way around, introduce you to people and tell you what’s on.
- Every Thursday a morning tea is hosted for you and your supporters in the level 2 dining room.
- Computer and internet facilities
- Tranquil private garden setting
- Large outdoor deck area for alfresco dining
- An indoor pavilion area for peace and quiet
- Coin-operated laundries with full ironing facilities and an outdoor clothesline
- Storage for personal items or luggage
- Secure, free, undercover parking
- Access facilities / lift access
Health and safety during your stay
- Domain Lodge is a smokefree environment
- if you are unwell with an infectious illness or if there is any other reason that guests or staff may be at risk if you stay at Domain Lodge let our staff know
- fire and evacuation procedures mean you will need to tell the staff if you have visitors or if you or your supporter will be away overnight
- we have normal courtesy and respect for property rules and at all times accommodation is provided at the discretion of the Domain Lodge manager and the Cancer Society Auckland Chief Executive
Meeting Rooms and Facilities
Meetings rooms and facilities are available for hire at Domain Lodge. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, we are currently unable to take any new bookings for our meetings rooms.
- Ted & Mollie Carr Conference Hall: seating for approximately 60 people in lecture room style with kitchen facilities attached.
- Domain Lodge Support Room: seating for approximately 25 people in lecture room style with access to the nearby kitchen.
Both rooms are air-conditioned and carpeted.
Both venues have built-in AV facilities run from PC laptop. Presenters only need to bring content on a USB device. The Conference Hall also has a sound mixer PA system and stage.
For further information or to make a booking, please contact us on (09) 308 0161 or email email@example.com with "meeting room hire" in the subject line.